Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2011

Dissecting The November Issue Of Vogue Brazil

1111091 

The cover of November's Vogue Brazil promises "Chic With A Twist," but I flipped through the entire issue and I am still wondering where that twist is. And if by twist the magazine meant striped sweaters paired with bikini bottoms, chain belts, pearls, and Chanel flowers, I have some news for the editors: that does not qualify as twist even in my straight 8-year-old brother's dictionary.
On the bright side, I don't mind the cover of the magazine much this month, even though it was shot on white seamless again. I guess I just respond positively to anything with bright pink text. The editorial work, on the other side, has nothing bright about it. View the three stories from the November issue after the jump.

Opening story: Lost In Rio with Flavia de Oliveira.
What it offers: nothing that you haven't seen before on a J. Crew catalog, Chanel references, Flavia de Oliveira looking like she just turned 60, and way too much teeth. The only thing lost in this story was my hope that this was going to be a good issue.


1111092
1111093
1111094
In case you are wondering, the picture with the shirtless male models is my favorite in the entire issue because it gives me something else to focus on (male flesh) other than the predictable styling or Flavia's forced Colgate smile.
Second story: Energia Sustentável with Barbara Berger.
1111095
1111096
That is a strong contender for the worst editorial of the year published on Vogue Brazil. The pictures don't look so awful 300 pixels wide, but in the magazine they are terrible. Not only does Barbara Berger look bad, but the whole concept just does not work at all, from styling to hair to location. A great example of a story which should have been killed.
Third story: Faxina Fashion with Fernanda Tavares.
1111097
1111098


The (lack of) expression on Fernanda's face says it all. Another pointless story. Fernanda was elongated in the worst possible way in that first picture, to the point that it doesn't even look like her. And if I may add one last critique here, the same chain belt is used in five pictures in that story AND on the cover. What is so special about it? And doesn't Vogue has access to different belts?
Trust me, I wish I could write an entire post about how brilliant and genius Vogue Brazil is, but it clearly has a long way to go until it gets there. Looking at those three stories, it is hard to understand why the shoot with Missy Rayder ended up in a style feature. I also don't get how RG Vogue, a spin-off on the title with more of a celebrity and gossip coverage, usually looks expensive and fun, and Vogue 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts with Thumbnails